Tuesday, April 24, 2012

SUPER-EARTH

by Ayn


From where I stood,
It was merely a big black awning
hovering above my view;
In the evening, that is.
But in sunup, without clouds,
It was an inverted stage of majestic blue

From where Sputnik drifted
It was perhaps more out-of-this-world;
Somewhat less literally,
Where behind those white swirls of ozone
Peek all the greens and browns
Sitting atop seventy-five percent of blue

Did she get a view of the Great Wall?
Better ask Neil Armstrong
Or maybe Lyka, for 100% fidelity
How many light years away is Andromeda?
And where (or when) can I meet you
When you're forced inside a black hole?

For thousands of years we've tried to find
A super-earth where life can thrive,
Where we can perpetuate 'life' as we know it.
But year on year only gas dwarfs are met
That, or a whole bunch of rocks and stars,
Telling us, not this time --- maybe not even ever.

I cry when I think of all the glory of Space,
That big black awning hovering my view.
I live a life that's purportedly 'mine'
But it's not, in proportion to the Big Void.
You're just not as big as you imagined.
Not even in proportion to where you stood. #




photo credit: Daily Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment