Thursday, January 26, 2012

OF BREAK-UPS AND DEATHS

by Ayn

It's all part of life. Every now and then we get to experience how it feels to be down on the sidelines, being separated from someone. And sometimes, we still hope for unexpected comebacks. Just like in the Rock music industry. Sorry to disappoint you with the title.

I'm not that old to have experienced the glory days of rock and roll. Minus The Beatles, I can go only as far back as the 80's. But as far as my era is concerned, I believe there have been pretty disappointing turns over the last 30 years.

1.) Worst Band Break-Up (Foreign): THE SMASHING PUMPKINS


Technically, the Pumpkins are still alive. But the break-up I'm referring to is of the four-piece ensemble of Billy Corgan, James Iha, D'arcy Wretzky, and Jimmy Chamberlin, who immortalized "1979", "Perfect", and "Tonight, Tonight" in the mainstream. Unknown to many is the real reason of the split, but the usual vocalist-turned-mad hit the headlines in 2000. Corgan returned a couple of years fronting Zwan, but was unsuccessful. In 2007 a much-publicized comeback album was released, but to the disappointment of many. Carrying the Pumpkins' brand again, the only original member Corgan brought with him was Chamberlin, who was rumored to have later left the band because of... Corgan.

So maybe the headlines were right. It was a vocalist-turned-mad case after all. But still, Corgan will never cease to be my all time favorite lyricist. I do not know Pumpkins past 2000. It was in 1998 with the song "Perfect" when I discovered this permanent love affair for alternative music. It was with the classic Pumpkins' albums where I learned my first guitar lessons, strumming "1979" and plucking "Stumbleine" and "Galapogos." Their music was addicting, with clean guitars and labyrinth-like verses. Despite keeping the band name alive, the Pumpkins that I knew has long been dead. And it's the worst in 30 years.

* Others in the list - Soundgarden, New Radicals, White Stripes, Goo Goo Dolls, Jars of Clay

2.) Worst Band Break-Up (Local): THE ERASERHEADS


And it's not because I celebrate the same birthdate with Ely Buendia. Claim number one: E-HEADS is NOT Ely Buendia. I know, I know, I could have picked someone not-so-mainstream and not-so-known by posseurs. But still, their music is a celebration of modern (and tamed) Filipino rock. Melodies were simple, lyrics were sometimes lame, but all in all, E-heads defined the Filipino alternative music of the 90s. But again, rumors say it was yet another vocalist-turned-mad case. 'Twas in early 2000s when Raimund Marasigan, Buddy Zabala, and Markus Adoro tried reviving with a lady frontman, Kris Dancel of the The Fatal Posporos. But everybody thought it weird, because everybody associated E-heads with Ely. I can't even blame kids if they thought the E in E-heads meant Ely. Claim number two: E-HEADS IS NOT ELY BUENDIA. Good Lord. But all members are now on separate ways in their respective careers, still within the local rock industry. I just hated it when they did this reunion concert, and TWICE at that. Come on. When you say REUNION, you do it permanently, a la Wolfgang!

*Others in the list - Twisted Halo, Sugarfree

3.) Worst Death (Foreign): JEFF BUCKLEY


No need for words. Just listen to his music. Or refer to my blogpost last Nov. 17. :) No, but seriously, I just hated why this guy had to die before his mile-long vocal range hit the airwaves. Just so frustrating I didn't even get to hear him live. He drowned in the Mississippi in 1997. He was 30. Reincarnation, please? Everybody here wants you. Me and Karla on top of the list. :)

*Others in the list - Kurt Cobain (Nirvana), Hillel Slovak (Red Hot Chili Peppers), John Lennon

4.) Worst Death (Local): TEDDY DIAZ

"And even back then The Dawn was never your band. It was Teddy's." This emotional line from Cinemalaya's Tulad ng Dati briefly expresses how influential Diaz of The Dawn has been especially in the rise of the 80's New Wave, uh, wave. Though I wasn't born yet to have witnessed him do "Salamat" and "Enveloped Ideas" in the flesh, I just know he was the guitarist who set the standards for most modern lead guitarists today. I mean, I love Francis Brew, as in hands down to the little guy. But seeing Teddy play that electric lead using a violin's bow? Man, I would have paid anything to go to a freaking Storm Concert! Teddy was stabbed by a petty thief in 1988. He was 25. Little did that robber know he hit a vital artery in the local rock scene.

*Others in the list - Chico Molina (Kapatid), Francis Magalona



Despite these deaths I would like to believe this industry will still continue to keep the love alive, especially with the comeback of STP, Fuel, and Wolfgang, and with the perpetual commitment of Pearl Jam, Razorback, and other oldies to musical ingenuity and integrity. Deaths and break-ups are all part of it, and comebacks are just pleasant surprises. But whether or not these people stay, the music definitely will. #

2 comments: