Thursday, April 26, 2012

'WAG KA NA KASI!!!

I was riding an FX on my way to work the other morning and heard one of the funniest (and crappiest) radio comments in media history. Straightforwardly, it was at Mellow 94.7. I'm not familiar with this station's format so I was actually surprised they had a morning show like "Rebel Circus" of Jam or "Morning Rush" of RX. On that morning's episode, question for the day is "What cools you down this summer?" The lady jock was reading the listener's texts and Tweets --- ice cream, halo-halo, aircon --- until she stumbled upon something she can't seem to pronounce. "Buh-nah-nah CONE yel-low." Uh-huh, I thought to myself. And this was how she and the gent jock went on:

Guy: What? What's that?
Girl: Banana Cone Yelo... Cone? Is that right?
Guy: You mean it's in a cone?! No maybe it's a typo! Maybe it's just like Mais con Yelo...
Girl: Oh really? I don't know... 
Guy: I'm not sure. I don't know Banana cone yelo either.

All I had to say is: ULUL. 'DI NGA? 'WAG KA NA KASI. Men, oh men. To think these guys are Filipinos! I mean I'm not taking away the fact that maybe they really DO NOT know what banana con yelo is but with those seemingly ignorant and tactless remarks, they went all the way down despite their high level of English proficiency. But really. Two people who do not know 'banana con yelo' in one radio station in one radio program at the same time? Maybe it's a hiring requirement. LOL. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the new-gen of airwaves is now either a battle of English-speaking or babble-loving DJs, listing the 'Top 10' whatever trying to be funny, or making people answer the 'question of the day' that doesn't really make sense after all. So for one hour all you heard was twaddle, irritating laughter, and literally a couple of songs that are either over-exposed or over-rated.

Too much emotions there. But hey I'm not trying to bash anyone here because I know most of you love Chico and Delamar or Papa Jack or Sam Y.G.(?) and I respect every inch of that. Just that I believe the minds of Filipino listeners are capable of more than just processing humor and a bit of useless information. Radio is two things: music and awareness. So I don't know where banana cone yellow fits there. :)

So should we blame the media? Or ourselves because we allow them to give us crap? Whatever. I also can't answer that's why I stopped listening to radio when Energy FM killed NU 107. And banana con hielo? It's simply saging na saba cooked in syrup and smothered in milk and ice. Sometimes with sago. Just so these two fellas know. :) #



photo credit: Lasang Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment